amandaalexandre5

Mommy, am I cult?

A former literary snob making her way back to commercial reads.

The Silver Linings Playbook
Matthew Quick
You Should Pity Us Instead
Amy Gustine

His Secretary: Undone

His Secretary: Undone - Melanie Marchande DNF AT 30%. Funny, but rapey.

The premise is very interesting: an assistant who hates her billionaire womanizer boss because he is essentially, an asshole. To colour her boring life, she gets addicted in a series of erotica books and start exchanging letters with the author, that becomes her "friend".

Major plot twist ensues and later everything goes south.

My major problem occurred with the second sex scene. I am very sensitive to rape. I am one of those people that see rape when most people don't.

So imagine my reaction when, in a supposedly steamy scene, the hunky billionaire strands the protagonist in his hotel suite. He takes her panties in his hand, she asks for it, and he says:

NO, I'M NOT GIVING YOU MY PANTIES, LET'S JUST PLAY BECAUSE I'M HANDSOME AND I KNOW YOU WANT ME.

And they start to have sex.

I know there is some element of play into this, but the thing is: the protagonist never made her consent 100% clear. It was just inferred from the situation.

That's what bugged me the most. I have no problem with BDSM, whether it is light or hardcore. I have no problem with spanking.

What I do have a problem is when sex (no matter how vanilla it can be) is a result of a game when the female says "no" to trick the guy. which is funny, because in this same novel, the said hunky billionaire fires an asshole for pawing an intern. His defense? Something in the lines of:
"You know how they do it, they say no, but they're actually wanting you to say yes."

So basically, the asshole employee can't play this kind of "game", but the hunky billionaire can. Although I know it was already implied that she was interested in him, it is not necessary to define a consent. Repeating:

Being interested in a guy does not exactly say you want to have sex with him at anytime or anywhere he wants. You still have the right to choose when and where you will have sex. Being interested does not necessarily mean consent.

Such a pity, because the author is funny. The protagonist is plus size (in my mind, she is Christina Hendricks), something different in the genre.

If you want a good light BDSM, read for free at Amazon: [b:The Boss|17373314|The Boss (The Boss, #1)|Abigail Barnette|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1362191270s/17373314.jpg|24160977].